Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Gems Talk


It’s time Brenda met you” Vyna said, “Aye - Aye skipper,” say I, in my impersonation of captain Jack Sparrow. Brenda is an old friend of hers, and they go way back in the days when Vyna use to work for one of New York’s top law firm. “Brenda is into been”! Hungh! Into ‘been’ I thought, ‘has-been’ ‘bake beans’ ‘been there!’ Wow! (I’m partially deaf and prone to miss hearing words). Having a passion for meeting strange folks (Brenda turned out to be one of the most gracious person you will ever meet) I said, yes! Where’s my pencil and pad? By then, Vyna gave me one of her strange looks that says "I must have him scanned soon".

As it turned out, Brenda is a member of The Bead Society of New York. Her passion is designing and making her own jewelry. I had a friend once who had a singular passion for jewelry. Only he ended up doing time for it. We were to meet for a drink and a bite but first, I was informed that we were heading to a lecture at the Fashion Institute of Technology with Brenda where Larry Vrba, a New York-based theatrical jewelry designer was giving a speech. I’ll have to check the small print on our marriage certificate soon!

Once we got there, surprise, surprise, I enjoyed the lecture by Larry Vrba (pronounced vra). He started out by telling us that even during his childhood, he had a passion for jewelry. So much so that he went around his neighborhood, and knocked on doors asking for unwanted jewelry (least he tried the front door and not the back). In the 70s, he was the head designer at Miriam Haskell Jewelry. He moved to NYC over 30 years ago, and opened his own studio. His reputation is renowned. Larry’s jewelry designs are made for the Broadway Stage, but he also sells his products at various boutiques here in NY - Bergdorf Goodman, small vintage jewelry shops across the globe. It is not uncommon to spot his jewelry at various social balls in the city. The Metropolitan Opera used his work as well. THAT! Impressed me. The following could only happen in New York... After the lecture, Brenda, Vyna and I went to a Thai restaurant. As we settled down, low and behold, Larry Vrba, his assistant Christopher Crouch (there is a Crouch who plays for England soccer team), and three other friends sat at the table next to us. Handshakes all around, and Brenda, not being shy, soon asked Larry to show us the necklaces he was presenting to his friends. They were gorgeous!!!
Vyna McConkey
Vyna tried one magnificent one on. Sorry Chris, I think she shades it! A few days later, Brenda e-mailed us saying she was still on a high from the experience, completely blown away from the events of the evening. Thanks Larry and friends. I can see that your jewelry reflects your personality. Large, bold, talented and creative. We would love an invitation to your studio someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for saying hello. But please, no spam.