Thursday, August 13, 2015

My Top Pet Peeves

Fast Food Restaurant: McDonald's West Thurrock (UK)
Today I'm reflecting on my pet peeves and my favorite types of pets. It's a bit of fun, and something light to read for sure. My thoughts might make you laugh, so don't take it too seriously because hopefully you will enjoy it. Feel free to leave me a comment; I certainly would like to know if you agree or disagree with me.

My Pets  Convenient fast food (yes, some of it is good) and they're open 24/7. Great.

Barnes & Noble Cafe

Barnes & Noble is one of my most frequented places in the city. That's right. I find the bookstore to be a real treat. And I'm not just talking about their cafes either. When I have the time, I find myself spending hours inside their Starbucks Cafe, catching up with my reading, occasionally studying, or just having a good old chat with the friendly person sitting next to my table. He or she is apt to ask “Are you a Brit?” Of which I'll replied “Yep! From head to toe.” What do you think? I must have a Brit sign on me somewhere, right?

Train ride of a lifetime. Can't wait to get on one of those again.
I am passionate about trains, particularly steam trains. Last year, my wife and I traveled from the Pennsylvania Station, New York, to North Carolina via Amtrak. It was a 16 hour journey which went through Washington D.C. and beyond. What's on my current wish-list? A train ride through the Rocky Mountains… Dream on, and don’t wake me up just yet.

Washington D.C.

Lost In Translation

Another pet peeve, if you can call it that, is the fun I've had with some of my American friends and a few acquaintances regarding my speaking British English, instead of American English. My friends here view this as an invasion to America.  Ha ha, bring it on, and let's give Manhattan back to the Queen! Here’s a few examples:

Do the washing up - British for "wash the dishes". My wife quickly picked that up.

Keen on/ keen to - a British way of saying "to like" or "be eager to"

Barman - bartender

Bit - as in "the best bit" of a film... Americans would usually say "part"

To book (e.g. a hotel) - Americans would say "reserve"

Called Joe - Americans say "named" Joe

To move house - a British way of saying "to move"

I've got the hump - work it out

On the 'rare' occasion that I visit Dunkin Donut and ask for a jam donut, the person behind the counter do not understand what I'm talking about. I have to clarify the fact that I'm asking for a jelly donut!

Britain is a very distinct country. Very different from the US (divided by a common language). Not better, not worse, just different. Jolly good show too, long live that difference. That means I will continue to maintain the integrity of the British nuance, subtle and supple version - not forgetting the original version - of the English language.

Pet peeves


58 Flavors of ice cream. Eat me!
Only in America … The first time I saw the sign 58 flavored ice creams …. it blew my mind away! To this day I still order vanilla flavored ice cream, and my American friends still pull my leg when I order vanilla. Come on they say "try something different." When hell freezes over, that's when.


American spelling!
Lexicographer, author and editor Noah Webster was born in Connecticut in 1758. He believed English spellings were needlessly complicated, and tried to simplify them. Here are some of the many changes that were adopted into American English. "Traveled", "defense" and "color", for example he also wanted to change "women" to "wimmen" and "tongue" to "tung", but neither was adopted - was he serious? Glad common sense prevailed.

New York Bus
Another of my major peeves is the New York MTA bus drivers. Is this the correct title for them? I often take the Q49, and Q33 buses, and most of the drivers think they are budding racing drivers, hard on the throttle, and breaks causing most strap hangers (my Brit friends can work this out) to swear under their breath because all the strap hangers are being thrown about and hanging on for dear life. Slow down sir!

A British queue
I was totality unprepared for the "American line" here in New York which made me miss and appreciate the British queue even more. Last time I was in Britain, to be in a queue meant an orderly line, and one moved in an orderly fashion. No pushing to be first or barging others out of the way. When I first arrived in New York I had 'little old dears holding their senior bus pass' knocking me off my feet to get on the bus before me, eventhough I was there first. My friends would laugh at me and say ‘you’re too polite’.

Feel good images
Riding, and Feeling good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for saying hello. But please, no spam.