Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Stetson Hat Hits London


March 2015
I've just purchased a western book, YAQUI GOLD signed by Clint Walker. It was also co-written by Kirby Jones.


Clint Walker won the lead role in the TV series Cheyenne 1955 to 1963.  Billed as "Clint" Walker, he was cast as Cheyenne Bodie, a roaming cowboy hero in the post-American Civil War era. While the series regularly capitalized on Walker's rugged frame with frequent bare-chested scenes, it was well written and acted. It proved hugely popular for eight seasons.


In 2004, he was inducted into the Hall of Great Western Performers Hall at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
Clint Walker - Cheyenne 

My favorite western film? SHANE! I just love the hats.
From left: Alan Ladd starring Shane. and John Wayne


Robert Vaughn dons his stetson as he returns to the big screen. Can you imagine how a western Stetson hat would stick out like a sore thumb in the East End of London?

The 1953 Classic, Shane

Makers of the British independent film, called The Magnificent Eleven, contacted the 79-year-old star (Robert Vaughn) hoping he would agree to a cameo. The veteran actor said no… because he loved the story so much he wanted a lead role instead. But no other hat would fit Robert Vaughn so aptly for his return to the big screen. 

The last surviving member of The Magnificent Seven is to star in an offbeat comedy which pays homage to the 1960 Western that helped cement his place in cinema history. O my! I remember seeing The Magnificent Seven all those years ago, and loved it! So there, my secret is out. Charles Bronson was my favorite in the film, sorry Robert! With the film set in the ‘Wild East’ of London, there should be plenty more humorous twists along the way so watch this space! 


Seeing the headline about the Stetson cowboy hat or the ‘10 gallon hat’ (early print advertising by Stetson showed a cowboy giving his horse a drink of water from a hat) reminded me of my youth. Like most children, my friends and I loved to play cowboys and Indians especially after watching a western film at the local cinema (in those days we had 4 cinemas in Putney), my favorite cowboys? Roy Rogers, Randolph Scott, John Wayne (the Duke).



Even today when an old western film is shown on TV I have to watch it, Vyna gives me one of her funny looks which says ‘to each one his own’ or ‘how did I miss that when we where courting?’ My favorite western? In my mind, it's Shane, starring Alan Ladd. A close 2nd is The Searchers, starring John Wayne. How about my favorite baddy! It really has to be Jack Palance who played Jack Wilson in Shane, he scared the living day lights out of me. Good memories of my favorite westerns of long ago always brings a smile and its good for the soul to fantasy, yes. 

The iconic John Wayne


Is this the best ever western film?


Imagine my delight (after drafting this post) when Vyna received two tickets for the Professional Bull Riders in New York, of all places (Madison Square Garden). A real cowboy show. I had to dust down my Stetson and buckle up my belt. "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do” - John Wayne.

It is the sixth year in a row that the world's most famous arena Madison Square Garden New York has hosted the PBR (Professional Bull Riders), the world's premier bull riding organization. 

Professional Bull Riders

The nationally-televised BFTS features the best and highest-paid bull riders (US, Brazil, Canada) on the planet competing against the world's best bulls. Speaking of Bulls, I found them to be the star of the show. Many of them had great personalities and a real mean attitude. They've reminded me of my friend Ginger the Cat. He would have loved the bulls. They had unusual names  like : Bush Wacker, Smack Down, After Party, and Back Bender (that bull checks in 24/7). 

Professional Bull Riders

My wife Vyna and I had a great time. Thank you Karen for the tickets!

Throughout the show, I kept wondering... Where was the famous Stetson Hats at the PBR event? Out of all the folks, I thought they would have been one of the first sponsors!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for saying hello. But please, no spam.