Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Only in New York

The naked cowboy: One crazy New Yorker

A few years ago I was posting on my Facebook page (which is now defunct) a series of posts entitled: Only in New York.  The posts brought to mind all the crazy things I observed in and around New York City. No doubt other cities have their own crazy moments, don't you agree?

I recalled vividly this pet shop a few blocks from where I live which placed a sign on their door that read: NO PETS ALLOWED! It's no surprise that the shop quickly went out of business shortly afterward.

This is not the store I mentioned in my previous paragraph, with the NO PETS ALLOWED
which warranted a speedy closure.

Have you ever had this experience? I was in a coffee shop ordering a black coffee, when the woman behind the counter asked:  "Any milk or cream in your coffee, sir?" "No", I politely replied, "I just want black coffee, thank you". She turned around and handed me a coffee with milk. Seriously, you can't make this up, even if you wanted to (the scenario reminded me of the Bill Murray film Lost in Translation).

This is what a black coffee with no cream looks like. Thank you very much.

No Milk In My Coffee. Ever.

Okay! Let's get on with the post. Last week, while commuting in the subway, it seemed like at every subway station that I connected with, there was a guy or gal handing out free copies of AM NEW YORK, which boast of being the No. 1 free paper in New York…its a good way of keeping up with the local news. 



Breaking News from 'Alexandria' "I looked down at my feet while I was on the subway platform, only to discover a giant rat* was next to me! Love living in NYC, so glamorous."

* Most rats can reach 18" in length, I find them scary and eerie. Yes, they give me the creeps.


"I'm a 20/day smoker" So what?

Simple but Brilliant Signs

This is news after my own heart. It's easy to lose our bearings when we exit the subway, right? (I've posted about this very subject a few years back). I am constantly having to wonder where I'm facing; is that north, south, east, or west? It drives me nuts. Ryan Murphy, a student at one of New York School of Design has taken action to help us out. Ryan designed a simple but brilliant sign. That's right, an easy to understand sign on the subway steps. Well done Ryan! I would love to shake your hand if ever we meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for saying hello. But please, no spam.