Tuesday, August 29, 2017

My British Motorcycle Days

 Bonneville

New Yorkers love their motorcycles. And I consider myself one of those New Yorkers-at a pinch. My wife Vyna will tell you if I see or hear a bike, I have to check it out and if possible have a chat with the rider. In this town, you can rent classics like the Harley Davidson, Indian Chief Classic, Big Bear Choppers, Big Dog Motorcycles, K9 Chopper. No kidding, escaping the city, even for a day, has never been so easy!

Indian Chief Classic




BSA A7

The first motorcycle I rode in my youth was a BSA A7 500cc Twin.
In the 'good old days' of the 50 & the 60s, BSA Motorcycles were on top of the world. The Gold Star was a mega hit too, some of my friends owned them, The Gold Star was winning races and selling like hotcakes. Even so, my A7 always remained my first love, and my favorite because of its smoothness, performance, and reliability. My other bikes included a Norton Dominator Model 88 500cc Twin. I believe the Norton was the most popular, and the sexiest of all Classic British Motorcycles at the time. Norton dominated GPs and Isle of Man TT's for over a decade. I also owned a Manx Norton 500cc single cylinder and rode it around the British countryside. I will never forget its black and silver body, and of course, the SOUND!!

Norton Dominator 88
Manx Norton 1954


My Triton in 1973 

The Triton (Triumph Thunderbird engine 650cc and a Norton Featherbed frame) was another favorite bike I owned. The Triumph 6T Thunderbird was the top-of-the-line Triumph. The Featherbed frame was a state-of-the-art in its day, the “Roadholder” telescopic front forks helped the Triton (Norton/Triumph) established itself as one of the best handling motorcycles in the world.
Any idea what motorcycle Steve McQueen used in The Great Escape film?

Steve McQueen

The motorcycles used during the chase scene in the film The Great Escape were 1961 Triumph TR6 Trophy models disguised as German BMW R75 motorcycles.


I first saw the film in 1963 and wondered how he stole a British bike in war time Germany and a 1960 model at that!
Remember the scene in The Wild Ones when Marlon Brando rode the Triumph black model? Gosh! What a Bike that was...the film was okay!

1950 Triumph Thunderbird 6T

For several years I owned a Velocette Viper 350cc. This bike was better than its contemporary, the 500cc. It was truly a beautiful looking bike.

Viper 350cc 1960





Ariel 1951

I nearly forgot to mention my everyday bike, the Ariel Red Hunter 500cc twin a work horse if ever there was one. I called it a plunger killer because going around bends in the road it would try to unseat you!
Do I have a wish list for a motorcycle? Yes! A Vincent "Black Shadow" or a Vincent "Black Lighting" (You haven't heard of a Vincent? Stay tuned for my next post). Vincents have an aura and a cache that is vastly out of proportion with their production output. In 9 years (1946-1950) although Phil Vincent built his first motorcycle in 1927/8, the company produced only 11,000 motorcycles. Vincent Motorcycles have an aura of greatness about them, like old Ferraris' command at car shows. They’re legendary, and rare, which made them some of the most sought after motorcycles.

 Vincent Black Shadow

My most memorial ride? A few years back a friend in Phoenix Arizona arranged a day out with his biker friends. I was riding on the back of a Triumph Bonneville when we rode through the Arizona desert passing through old mining towns with 100 degrees burning down on us. At one point, we stopped at a parking lot with a water tap/hose, while we all took turns to put the hose down the back of our leather jackets with the water turned on full...heaven! A brief mention of how I enjoyed my time visiting the Ace Cafe North London we were called the Ton Up Boys or the Rockers famous worldwide as Cafe Racers.
My greatest regret? Selling all those magnificent bikes. I would give my right arm to ride them now in New York City!

Cafe Racer

Last word. To those who have never owned or ridden a motorcycle, they will never understand, the exhilaration and recreation feelings it brings to a biker. Here I am living in New York and I have never even sat on Harley Davidson. How sad is that? The picture below: Can you name the bike?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for saying hello. But please, no spam.